We all want pearly white teeth. It is great to be able to confidently flash a big smile every time someone takes a photo. This isn’t a reality for a lot of us because teeth naturally discolour over time. There are also outside influences like diet and smoking that can cause discolouration. Teeth whitening has become one of the most popular dental cosmetic treatments. It can create fantastic results that can last for over a year given the right care. If you’re wondering how long professional teeth whitening lasts, this article is for you!
At our Sydney CBD clinic Dental on York, we offer two types of teeth whitening options; at-home and in-chair. In this article, we will discuss how long professional teeth whitening lasts. We will also look at the different options available and how to maintain your whitened teeth.
What causes teeth discolouration?
Teeth become discoloured throughout our lives. Both naturally and as a result of our lifestyles. Here are some of the reasons your teeth may become discoloured:
- Your diet – what you eat, and drink impacts our health and also our teeth. Food and drink with high sugar contents can cause both discolouration and tooth decay. Staining food and drink such as red wine and coffee can also impact the colour of your teeth.
- Smoking – one of the main causes of yellowing teeth is smoking.
- Trauma or infection – having an accident that causes tooth damage can lead to your tooth becoming yellow, bluish or grey.
- Age – our teeth are bright and white as children but over time they naturally discolour. This is unavoidable.
- Some medications – it’s best to speak to your health professional about this if you’re concerned.
What are my teeth whitening options?
Well, there are many on the market, from strips you stick on your teeth to whitening pens. These products can brighten your teeth and help to reduce stains, but sometimes are not that safe nor effective. If you want safe, effective and lasting results, then it’s best to leave your teeth whitening to the professionals. At Dental on York, our dentists can discuss the following options with you in detail:
At-home teeth whitening
Most dentists offer take home kits for teeth whitening. These consist of custom-made mouthguard trays and a top-quality bleaching gel. You apply the bleaching gel to the trays and wear them for about an hour each day over the course of two weeks. Within a week you should start to see results. This method can take your teeth multiple shades whiter. It is also great to be able to do it from the comfort of your own home.
In-chair teeth whitening
In-chair teeth whitening is possibly the fastest and most effective way to whiten your teeth. It is done at your dentist’s office. They will start by professionally cleaning your teeth. Then a rubber dam is placed in your mouth to protect your gums. A special high strength bleaching agent is applied. This is something only professional dentists have access to. The gel is activated by a special light. The process usually takes about an hour and the results are instant.
How long does professional teeth whitening last?
How long professional teeth whitening lasts depends on how well you care for your teeth. At-home teeth whitening will usually last a year or longer. In-chair whitening can last for up to 2 years. Let’s discuss some ways you can care for your teeth to increase the longevity of your teeth whitening:
- Brush twice every day (especially after meals) for a full two minutes
- Floss every day
- Use a mouthwash
- If you have eaten or drank something that you know causes staining (like coffee or red wine) brush your teeth immediately after
- Use a whitening toothpaste when brushing your teeth
- Avoid smoking
Achieve a whiter smile at Dental on York
Professional teeth whitening can last for many years when probably taken care of. It is a great dental cosmetic treatment that offers real results. It’s no wonder it’s such a popular choice. At Dental on York, we offer these whitening treatments. We are happy to discuss which option will suit you, give us a call to learn more.